Chocolate Pie by Kelly Butrum
This is a pie that has been made for generations in my family. This chocolate pie is made every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and sometimes other family get-togethers. It is loved by everyone and there is never a crumb left!
– Kelly Butrum, Lower School Teacher
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 egg yolks beaten (save 3 egg whites for meringue)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 whole baked pie crust
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Cook pie crust.
- Melt butter in pot. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Then when butter is melted add dry ingredients. Alternate beaten egg yolks and milk to the mixture as you continue to stir.
- Cook until the mixture is thick. Whisk if necessary to make smooth.
- Once cooled, add vanilla and then add it to baked pie shell.
- Make meringue and bake for 10 minutes more on 400 degrees until it’s brown on the tips.